This is the most common way to get a fresh start from overwhelming debt with a minimum investment of time and money. Chapter 7 is designed for debtors in financial difficulty who do not have the ability to pay their existing debts. Debtors whose debts are primarily consumer debts are subject to a “means test” designed to determine whether the case should be permitted to proceed under chapter 7. The purpose of filing a chapter 7 case is to obtain a discharge of the debts existing as of the date you file a case. However, not all debts are dischargeable. A Chapter 7 Bankruptcy:
- Can eliminate credit card debt.
- Can eliminate medical bills.
- Can eliminate old apartment bills/evictions costs.
- Can help you get a fresh financial start in about three months.
- Can help you qualify for a car.
- Can help you qualify for an apartment.
- Can help you move forward with your life.
- Can stop wage garnishments.
- Can stop harassing bill collectors.